Battle of the JD Edwards Barcode Software: DSI vs. RF-SMART
JD Edwards continues to be the go-to solution for many companies looking to simplify and standardize their business processes. One way to further optimize your performance is to implement barcoding and scanning software so you can see your data in real time.
If you’ve not read it yet, we broke down the benefits of using barcoding in the manufacturing industry in a previous article. Some of the highlights of barcoding include reduced costs, leaner production, and higher profitability. But what third-party solutions are available and compatible with JD Edwards, and how do they stack up against each other? In this article, we compare two of the most common options—DSI and RF-SMART—in a battle of the barcode software.
Round 1: DSI
In this corner, we start with DSI, an Oracle Platinum Partner. Its platform has validated, certified integrations in both Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and Oracle JD Edwards World. The DSI solution allows businesses to quickly develop, deploy and manage mobile apps that mimic and extend JD Edwards capabilities without a loss of functionality, whether in the app or connected to the JDE back-end system.
Features of DSI
- Multi-threaded device communications ensure high capacity and fast response
- Scalability—add users or sites as needed to fit your operation
- Integrate simultaneously into multiple databases or application versions
- Design and deploy apps easily to any device with optimal user experience
- Implement new application versions or updates with little-to-no user impact, regardless of user base size
- Queue transactions to allow work to continue uninterrupted even if networks fail or the enterprise application is unavailable
- Support full, thin and web clients with two- and three-tier architecture
Round 2: RF-SMART
In the other corner, we have RF-SMART. RF-SMART has been developing mobile barcoding solutions for Oracle JD Edwards for more than 20 years. It also boasts Oracle-validated integrations with Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and Oracle JD Edwards World and is an Oracle Gold Partner. According to their website, more than 1500 JD Edwards customers worldwide are using their scanning solution.
Features of RF-SMART
- A single application framework allows you to administrate and configure your entire suite of mobile applications, manage every mobile device and user, and take advantage of common reporting tools to achieve end-to-end supply chain visibility and execution control
- This fully configurable, purpose-built solution comes with more than 100 workflows right out of the box
- Labor management reporting gives warehouse and operations managers insights into performance and productivity
- Print Manager allows for easy management of all printers and label-printing functions directly from the web-based SmartConsole with access to your label printing activity and history with the ability to reprint labels on demand and support mobile label printers.
How to Decide?
These are just two of the many barcoding options compatible with JD Edwards. There are a variety of systems out there designed to meet the needs of businesses in specific industries – which is why it’s important to carefully weigh your options when selecting a new barcode scanning system for your business.
When choosing a system, you need to evaluate it from all angles. How easily it will integrate with your existing software, tools, and workflows; what types of hardware your staff is used to; ease of use and specific requirements of your applications, and so forth
To help you make the most informed decision for your organization, you need someone who is experienced with these solutions and can offer you the best advice for your business needs. Surety Systems has experience helping JD Edwards organizations navigate through this challenging process. Contact one of our senior-level JDE consulting experts today so that you can confidently implement the right technology to make your business run efficiently.