In the dynamic realm of enterprise resource planning (ERP), efficient data management, real-time replication and transformation, and efficient data extraction are critical in achieving operational excellence.
This is where SAP System Landscape Transformation (SLT) comes in to help!
By seamlessly integrating disparate systems, harmonizing data flows, and improving RFC connection across the entire SAP landscape, the SAP SLT solution empowers businesses with the agility and accuracy to make informed decisions in real time.
In this article, we will delve into the intricacies of SAP SLT, uncovering how it revolutionizes data replication and transformation processes, ultimately paving the way for enhanced business intelligence and streamlined operations.
What is SAP SLT?
SAP SLT refers to the SAP Landscape Transformation Replication Server, a component of the SAP Business Technology Platform that simplifies the entire data replication process and facilitates better connections between SAP system and non-SAP system operations.
The SAP LT Replication Server is an Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) tool that delivers real-time data using trigger-based Change Data Capture (CDC) functionality and allows users to load and replicate data from an SAP source system or non-SAP system to the target system or SAP HANA database.
SAP SLT software also comes pre-built with integrations for the SAP ECC System, SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA for Central Finance, SAP BW/4HANA, and other applications in SAP Data Services.
Understanding the SAP SLT Server Architecture
Here are a few critical components of the SAP SLT architecture with SAP as the source system:
1) Database Triggers: Database (DB) triggers are created on the source system and monitor any event, including Insert, Delete, Update, or Modify, that occurs in any specific application table.
2) Logging Tables: If the database triggers, logging tables will automatically store the triggered data, which is modified in the application table. Logging tables are created on the source system.
3) Read Engine: Once logging tables are created, the read engine is responsible for reading the data from each table and transferring it to the SAP SLT Replication Server.
4) Mapping and Transformation Engine: The data mapping and transformation engine is responsible for facilitating the structured transformation of data into the correct format in their target SAP systems.
5) Write Engine: Write engine functionality is responsible for writing the data from the SAP LT Replication Server into the SAP HANA database.
Key Features of the SAP SLT Replication Server
The SAP Landscape Transformation Replication Server supports the real-time replication of data from either SAP-based systems or third-party systems to SAP HANA to facilitate quicker data analysis and run core SAP applications more efficiently.
Here are a few critical features included in the SAP HANA SLT Server:
With advanced configuration capabilities in the SAP Landscape Transformation Replication Server, users can automate Unicode and non-Unicode conversion during the data load and replication process.
This functionality also makes it easier for users to support various table types, including cluster, pool, and INDX, and transfer SAP application structures into transparent table structures.
When it comes to facilitating data replication in large, diverse technical landscapes, users need a system that allows them to efficiently and effectively replicate data across the entire landscape.
The SAP SLT Replication Server provides the functionality needed to manage data replication across distributed global landscapes, capture change data with no impact to existing data, reduce data transfer to target systems, and embed and deploy the replication server without disrupting existing operations.
SAP System LT Replication Server allows customers to realize the full value of their transformative capabilities, making it easier to convert, reduce, and transform target records across the entire landscape.
The solution also offers flexible filtering options and extensive data structuring capabilities to minimize the amount of data records in each source table.
By enabling better transactional integrity across the system, SLT SAP functionality supports automatic, point-in-time data recovery processes, provides a better connection to pre-built logging capabilities, and facilitates integrations with standard high-availability system setups.
How Does it Work Together?
Here’s a high-level overview of the most critical steps in the SAP SLT Replication process:
- Establish RFC connection between the SAP source system and the SLT Replication Server.
- Configure DB connection between the SLT Replication Server and the SAP HANA database.
- Execute the “Replicate” option for a table and load all the data from the replication table to the SAP HANA database.
- Once the load is finished, the status will change from “Load” to “Replicate” in the SAP system.
- After the status has been updated, the database trigger and logging table will be automatically created in the source system. The logging table will be managed in the source system, and the modified data will be stored per the specific requirements of the database trigger.
- The read engine will then read the data from each logging table and leverage the pre-built RFC connection to send it to the SLT Replication Server.
- The SLT Replication Server will transform and format the data into the correct SAP HANA format.
- Finally, the Write Engine will send the data to the SAP HANA database using predefined database connections.
Where Does Surety Systems Come in to Help?
Whether you need help using the Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) framework to facilitate efficient ETL processes between your critical SAP solutions, additional support outlining plans for SAP HANA Smart Data Integration, or just an extra hand monitoring real-time data replication across systems, Surety Systems is here to help.
Our senior-level, US-based SAP consultant team has the skills, experience, and know-how to handle all your most important SAP project needs — no matter what!
Partnering with the Best
Interested in learning how SAP SLT can improve the efficiency of your most important data transfer jobs or how our expert SAP consultant team can help you make the most of your SAP software investment?
Contact us today to get started!