With SAP Robotic Process Automation (RPA) capabilities, users are enabled to leverage software bots to perform and automate manual tasks, including data entry and transaction processing, to free up Human Resources (HR) personnel to focus on more strategic and value-added activities, like building more meaningful relationships with employees.
This article will take a closer look at Intelligent Robotic Process Automation functionality in SAP and its core capabilities and benefits for users, as well as where our team of SAP consultants can fit in your organization. Read on to learn more!
What is RPA in SAP?
Robotic process automation (RPA) in SAP refers to business process automation technology solutions designed to use software bots to automate manual tasks, including data entry and extraction and copy-and-paste operations, to reduce the risk for errors or redundancies in data and speed up activities and tasks in any SAP application.
Automating Tasks with SAP Intelligent RPA
Let’s take a closer look at the main tasks covered with SAP RPA functionality…
- Manual tasks: SAP RPA simplifies and automates time-consuming manual tasks, repetitive tasks, error-prone tasks, and everything in between to improve data extraction, consolidation, and manipulation functions from different data sources.
- Multiple-system tasks: With an intuitive user interface and low-code capabilities, SAP RPA makes it easier for organizations to automate tasks involving multiple different systems or applications that don’t offer suitable APIs, like Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offerings, web applications, and legacy systems.
- High-volume tasks: For tasks that require defined process steps to be completed repeatedly over time, including approval workflows and data migrations, SAP RPA helps companies manage and optimize their internal automation projects and tasks with improved speed, accuracy, and efficiency.
How Does RPA Work in SAP?
To gain a better understanding of how robotic process automation works in SAP, it’s important to first understand what software bots are, how they operate within your systems, and how they impact the entire SAP intelligent robotic process…
What is a Software Bot?
Virtual software robots, or bots, refer to computer programs built to perform tasks and execute automation projects in an attempt to speed up business operations and eliminate the need for human employees to complete tedious manual tasks.
At their simplest level, bots help companies automate processes that involve repetitive tasks, including both simple and complex activities within the system. And, on a more complex level, some bots have the ability to simulate human actions and interact with users in real time.
Key Capabilities of Bots in SAP
- Data manipulation: Software bots in SAP RPA can access and process large amounts of data from SAP systems, including transactions, reports, and databases, and manipulate data according to predefined rules. SAP RPA bots can also perform complex calculations and generate reports to give users better insight into data in their systems.
- Process automation: Bots in SAP RPA can automate tedious routine and repetitive processes in SAP systems, including data entry, form filling, and report generation, to improve process efficiency across the board. They also help users navigate through different SAP screens, interact with SAP applications, and execute tasks with or without out human intervention.
- Systems Integration: SAP RPA bots have built-in functionality that allows the RPA solution to integrate with other software systems, including SAP ERP, SAP CRM, and other HR systems, to exchange data and perform cross-functional processes. These bots can interact with APIs, web services, and other web applications to automate end-to-end business processes across the entire enterprise.
Main Types of RPA Models in SAP
RPA bots are built, designed, and programmed to read information on the screen, identify and extract necessary data, and integrate data management functions with other SAP systems, including SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP), SDK Cloud Studio, and more.
There are two main types of bots that offer different levels of functionality, including…
1) Attended RPA
In attended RPA, or robotic desktop automation, bots work leverage human intervention and input to complete tasks with more complex workloads or tedious tasks that cannot be fully automated.
With attended RPA, the RPA bot is located in workstations across the user interface, but it is only triggered by individual user interaction, meaning the bot stays dormant unless prompted by a human on the other side of the screen.
2) Unattended RPA
Unattended RPA refers to the process of software bots operating on their own, without the need for human intervention of any kind. With this type of robotic process automation, the bots are typically activated based on a trigger condition or circumstance in the system.
Unattended RPA bots interact directly with a company’s computer systems, simplifying the process of automating manual tasks and eliminating the need for a human middle man.
Who Can Benefit from SAP RPA?
Intelligent robotic process automation functionality in SAP extends across multiple different functions and industries, offering automated and streamlined tools for users in any kind of business environment.
Let’s take a look at a few of the main advantages for users across different departments…
Incorporating RPA functionality into core financial management operations can help teams automate their most important financial processes, create efficiencies across the entire finance team, and improve financial productivity and profitability in the long run.
By implementing SAP Intelligent RPA across your organization, internal employees can process orders and customer-related tasks more efficiently, provide better support for customers in any case, and complete system-related cases in a timely manner.
With SAP RPA capabilities, employees and managers across HR departments are enabled to automate repetitive tasks, including data entry and report generation, streamline recruiting processes for hiring managers and candidates, and leverage automated compliance management functions to reduce the risk for non-compliance and keep all employees eligible.
Main Advantages for SAP Business Users
With SAP Intelligent Robotic Process Automation tools, users are enabled to…
- Increase process efficiency and employee productivity with intelligent task automation
- Minimize and eliminate risks for human error across systems
- Reduce overall costs and improve return on investment (ROI)
- Improve system agility to keep up with business growth and change in the future
- Support the migration of data from legacy systems to SAP with automated tools
- Leverage low/no code RPA tools to automate processes with no reliance on IT teams and reduce the administrative burden on the IT department
- Scale SAP solutions to keep customer service levels consistent and offer a more engaging experience for customers
- And so much more!
Getting Started with Our Team
Whether you need help implementing new SAP applications across your team, accessing predefined system automation content within the SAP Intelligent RPA Store, navigating complex data extraction and migration processes across departments, or anything in between, Surety Systems is here to help.
Our team of senior-level SAP consultants has the technical skills and functional expertise needed to lead you to success, regardless of the complexity of your organizational structure or the nature of your project needs.
How Can We Help?
Interested in learning where our team of expert SAP consultants can fit in your organization?
Ready to optimize your SAP solutions and improve productivity and efficiency across your entire enterprise, but don’t know where to start?
Contact us today for more information about our SAP consulting services!