In today’s rapidly evolving enterprise landscape, organizations face ever-increasing data volumes, driving a growing need for efficient and effective data management strategies. This is where SAP Data Management and Landscape Transformation (DMLT) comes into play.
The SAP DMLT platform provides a comprehensive suite of solutions and best-practice methodologies designed to help businesses harness the power of their data while ensuring seamless transitions to a new SAP solution, like the SAP S/4HANA system.
This article will discuss the key components and capabilities of SAP DMLT, how it empowers enterprises to take control of their data landscapes in a dynamic and data-driven era, and where our team of expert SAP consultants can come in to help.
What is SAP DMLT?
SAP Data Management and Landscape Transformation (DMLT) is a service that focuses on helping businesses manage and transform their data landscapes. It encompasses various intelligent tools, methodologies, and best practices for handling data-related challenges in a complex SAP landscape.
SAP DMLT services help organizations optimize their core data management processes, ensure data quality, and streamline their IT environments, ultimately leading to cost savings and improved decision-making based on accurate and timely data.
With intelligent data management tools in SAP DMLT, organizations can:
- Support complex restructuring or consolidation of their SAP system landscapes
- Enable data migration from one SAP system to another or between SAP and non-SAP systems
- Maintain compliance with data retention and privacy regulations like GDPR
- Establish robust policies for data management and governance
- Ensure data accuracy, reliability, and consistency by proactively identifying data quality issues
- Regularly archive historical data to reduce database sizes and improve system performance
Key Capabilities of Business Data Management in SAP DMLT
Here’s a look at the main capabilities of SAP Data Management and Landscape Transformation:
Master Data Management
SAP DMLT leverages the SAP Master Data Management (MDM) platform as a basis, allowing users to manage and govern enterprise-wide master and transactional data in one location and establish a more robust data model across their entire organization.
Users can combine the power of DMLT and other SAP products to improve data cleansing and governance, enhance data quality and integrity, and facilitate better asset information management.
Data Privacy and Protection
With an intelligent data management strategy in the DMLT platform, companies can establish better data security guidelines and maintain compliance with various local DPP regulations, a data object’s right to be forgotten, for example.
Data Volume and Compliance
By leveraging the SAP Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) platform as a basis, DMLT enables organizations to quickly archive unnecessary data, monitor data retention, and establish robust system decommissioning strategies across teams.
Data Intelligence and Integration
The DMLT platform leverages SAP Data Intelligence as a basis, making it easier for companies to extract and integrate data from any source, create and deploy intelligent data models, and improve the data integration and conversion process.
Understanding Data Management and Landscape Transformation
Restructuring and M&A
With intelligent system restructuring functionality, DMLT enables users to transform their legacy data and existing system landscapes, improving customer success and supporting complex mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures across the entire SAP environment.
End-to-end DMLT services make it easier to leverage standardized data migration and conversion technology to transfer your critical business data between SAP systems and redefine organizational structures to improve efficiency and drive better outcomes.
Companies can leverage the DMLT solution to review, manage, and consolidate their existing system landscape, split or merge existing SAP ERP instances, and reduce the total cost of owning distribution systems across a global enterprise landscape.
By providing intelligent system landscape consolidation and harmonization resources, companies can establish more robust conversion rules for ERP, CRM, and BW components and centralize multi-client systems in a single target system for improved efficiency.
The DMLT platform provides innovative data unification and harmonization tools to view, analyze, and cleanse data from customers, business partners, and products and standardize core financial management and controlling processes across teams.
This way, companies can ensure accurate data reporting and cost-efficiency, facilitate more efficient currency conversions between systems, and maintain compliance with industry accounting standards and regulations.
The Value Behind DMLT Automation for Business Users
DMLT SAP automation enables companies to drive better business value with the following features:
Transcend Beyond Limitations
- Facilitate efficient mergers and divestitures on the SAP S/4HANA platform
- Conduct currency transformations for SAP S/4HANA migration
- Manage on-premise HCM/Payroll operations in SuccessFactors EC Payroll
- Conduct intelligent business data validation for data being moved to the target system
- Connect with the SAP ILM platform for more efficient system decommissioning
- Execute new implementation for on-the-fly solutions, like GRC Consolidation, GL Migration, Customer Vendor Integration, and more
- Accelerate new rollouts, mergers, and acquisitions
- Leverage intelligent templates to set up new company code, including company code clone data on SAP S/4HANA
- Access shell creation for SAP S/4HANA to manage configuration and transformation projects
- Set up new project landscapes in the SAP S/4HANA RISE platform
Navigating S/4HANA Selective Data Transition Engagement
The Selective Data Transition approach transcends beyond traditional new implementation and system conversion strategies to improve data provisioning, facilitate historical data migration between SAP systems, and avoid disruption to existing business operations in the process.
Here are the main steps in Selective Data Transition from DMLT with SAP ADM:
- Prepare: Outline user roles, project schedules, and systems in scope.
- Extract: Collect and stage all data collected from source systems and involved in the migration.
- Analyze: Search, analyze, and cleanse data to enable more efficient data mapping and transformation activities.
- Design: Create a system blueprint and provide reusability roles across data transitions.
- Align: Map data sources to the target blueprint and clear the audit trail of all decisions made, including change control and resourcing.
- Create: Complete manual data enrichment, allowing users to fully control data capture, review, and sign-off activities.
- Transform: Conduct simulation and validation for core data loading procedures to ensure support for successful loading and regulatory reporting.
- Load: Automate the movement of data to the target system, minimizing disruption to existing data sources and systems.
Top 5 Advantages of Using SDT to Move to SAP S/4HANA
Selective Data Transition is one of the main options for migrating to SAP S/4HANA, allowing business users to establish robust data transformation and mapping strategies that align with their new SAP S/4HANA system.
Here are a few main advantages of the selective data transition approach for business users:
Reduced Data Complexity:
Selective Data Transition allows organizations to retain their valuable historical data while migrating to SAP S/4HANA. This reduces the complexity of the migration process and mitigates potential risks associated with data loss or inconsistency, as you only need to transform and migrate relevant data.
By selectively migrating data, organizations can save on storage and processing costs associated with moving and maintaining large volumes of historical data and achieve better cost savings than a complete data migration.
Faster Migration Timelines:
Selectively migrating data means the migration process can be completed more quickly, as it focuses on the most critical and relevant data. This can lead to shorter project timelines and faster adoption of SAP S/4HANA, allowing organizations to benefit from the new system in less time.
Data Quality Improvement:
As part of the selective data transition process, organizations have the opportunity to cleanse and optimize their data. This can improve data quality, accuracy, and consistency, which is essential for effective business operations and analytics.
Minimized System Disruption:
Since Selective Data Transition allows you to keep essential historical data and only migrate relevant data, there is less disruption to ongoing business operations. Users can continue to access and work with critical data while the migration is in progress.
How Can We Help?
Whether you need implementing new SAP solutions for the first time, additional support executing selective data migration of master and transactional data, or just an extra hand navigating core process redesign initiatives across your existing SAP landscape, Surety Systems can help.
Our senior-level, US-based SAP consultant team has the knowledge, skills, and experience to handle all your most critical project needs and maximize your overall investment.
Extensive experience in virtually all areas of the SAP landscape, paired with a proven track record of success, makes our SAP consulting team the perfect match for any SAP project.
Getting Started with Us
Interested in learning how the DMLT platform can enhance data management and system conversion efficiency across your organization? Ready to get started on a project with our expert SAP consultants?
Contact us today for more information!