Electronic commerce (aka “E-commerce”) business processes are part of a continuously evolving industry that focuses on including suppliers, customers, and employees in fully integrated supply chains. With total integration of these processes and data that can be automatically translated between systems, companies are able to shorten their cycle times, increase knowledge and data sharing throughout all areas of the organization, and manage inventory more efficiently.
JD Edwards (JDE) understands just how important integrated supply chains can be in optimizing business processes and saving your organization valuable time, money and resources. That’s why they made the JDE EnterpriseOne Data Interface.
Whether your E-commerce system is enabled for business-to-business transactions or optimized for business-to-consumer processes, the JDE interface solution is the key to maximizing the benefits of your E-commerce business strategy.
Let’s dive in.
Overview of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
Electronic data interchange (EDI) involves the computer-to-computer exchange of important data and business transactions, like invoices, sales orders, and shipping documentation. EDI data exchange keeps valuable information in a standard format, helping to maintain enterprise information integrity and optimizing your business transactions in the process.
EDI is an essential piece of maximizing business-to-business transactions. And, with its ability to act as an interface between JDE EnterpriseOne (E1) and consistent translator software, JDE EDI is a key tool in maximizing the interoperability between systems and the efficiency of data transfer. Companies that transfer EDI standard format data between their individual systems are referred to as trading partners – working together to fill E-commerce needs and meet individual business requirements.
Benefits of Implementing EDI Solutions
Here are some of the main benefits of implementing the JD Edwards EDI interface in your workforce:
- Reduction of manual data processes and rigid standardization increases information integrity and decreases errors.
- EDI automated data transfer processes save employees time and money.
- Increased data sharing capabilities improve the efficiency of business transactions and increase the productivity of business systems.
- Improved accuracy and timeliness of transactions improves relationships between suppliers, customers, and employees.
- Organized data and integrated reports improve the quality and speed of product and service delivery.
How is JDE EDI Different?
One major aspect of the JDE EDI solution that sets it apart from other, similar EDI software is its use of system (or code) 47 – the interface that contains all tables, files, and programs for the application. Code 47 integrates a third-party translation tool that transforms EDI standard format data into flat files to be managed within the JDE E1 system. Here’s how the tool works:
- Your JDE system receives a document.
- Essential data from the document is extracted with network communication functions.
- Data format is translated from Standard EDI to JDE application tables.
- Data is transferred to JDE flat files to be stored.
The exchange of business data between systems and the extraction, translation, and transfer of such data is important in managing and maximizing JDE integration and optimization capabilities throughout all areas of your organization.
What is EDI Order Processing?
Now that you know more about what EDI is, let’s chat about what EDI order processing entails.
EDI order processing involves using an EDI solution, like JDE EDI, to process purchase order workflows in sequential order. EDI offers the most efficient way to process and fulfill orders, and EDI order processing allows these orders to flow swiftly through a company’s supply chain by eliminating manual intervention. Here are a few of the key advantages of using EDI order processing:
- Save time and reduce errors with the elimination of manual, error-prone processes
- Improve relationships between suppliers and retail partners with increased system functionality and efficiency
- Maintain organization of orders by automating each stage of the order cycle
- Add new customers and trading partners to your system with electronic trading requirements
Key JD Edwards Integration Capabilities
The JDE EnterpriseOne Data Interface has integration capabilities that allow your EDI system to connect to and operate with multiple different systems within the JDE ecosystem.
Here are a few of the internal systems that can be integrated with the EDI tool and their main purpose within your JDE space:
- Inventory Management: Enables inventory management throughout the entire supply chain with discreet item definitions and individualized item characteristics.
- Accounts Payable/Receivable: Allows for more efficient management of invoices, payment receipts, supplier relationships, and cash flows.
- Sales Order Management: Provides increased customer support and service through custom order templates, blanket and standing orders, and online displays that share important information about order sales, transportation and profitability.
- Procurement: Enhances purchasing activities that manage material orders, replenish inventory, and assign charges to their appropriate department or area of the company.
- Demand Scheduling Execution: Manages production schedules and ensures shipment and production requirements are met.
How Can We Help?
Need some extra support in implementing your new EDI solution in your JD Edwards Enterprise system? Our consultants can help. Or maybe you’re interested in starting a new EDI integration project to optimize your JDE system? They’ve got you covered there too. Wherever your JDE needs lie, our team of expert-level JD Edwards consultants have the skills and experience needed to make a difference in your workforce.
We’ve also included a sample profile of one of our JDE EDI consultants to give you an idea of what to expect when partnering with us.
Surety Senior JD Edwards EDI Consultant
- 30+ years of EDI experience
- 15+ years of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne & World Development experience
- Expert with JD Edwards EDI
- Significant experience with many different EDI Softwares
- Well-versed in both Inbound & Outbound EDI
- Worked with the majority of EDI transactions (810, 824, 850, 855, 856, 860, 864, & 865)
Our EDI experts will ensure that your JD Edwards system is operating as efficiently as possible – maintaining proper business transactions and communication between all trading partners and systems every step of the way.
Contact us to learn more or get started today.