In the dynamic realm of enterprise database management, SAP MaxDB emerges as a robust and versatile solution, playing a pivotal role in supporting the data infrastructure of organizations worldwide.
With its scalable architecture and seamless integration with various SAP solutions, MaxDB replaces traditional tools like Database Manager GUI and SQL Studio and offers reliable data access and monitoring functionality for organizations seeking a high-performance database solution.
This article will cover the core capabilities and features of SAP MaxDB, the transformative impact it brings to data storage and retrieval within the SAP ecosystem, and where our SAP consultants can come in to help maximize your database strategy.
What is SAP Database Strategy?
SAP maintains a strong partner ecosystem and provides alternate database choices for customers, offering a multi-vendor database strategy for running SAP applications and pre-built connections to other operating systems like IBM and Microsoft to support all databases and functions.
By leveraging robust database technology optimized to run all SAP applications and designed with lower license and maintenance fees in mind, customers can integrate optimized database functionality into SAP and non-SAP applications and reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO).
Understanding the SAP MaxDB Database
SAP MaxDB acts as SAP’s own database, specifically designed to help customers reduce the total cost of ownership for their SAP applications. An SAP MaxDB database offers a regular structure comprising metadata in the database catalog and critical application data, including data records in existing tables.
By enabling users to store both business data and application logic in the same place, the MaxDB database serves as a central component for any SAP solution installation and lays the foundation for the reliability of the system and its data.
The SAP MaxDB database leverages reliable technology and database industry standards to optimize installation, configuration, and operation on both SAP and non-SAP applications, including SAP NetWeaver, SAP Business Suite, SAP Business ByDesign, and more.
Key Components of SAP MaxDB Documentation
Here’s a closer look at a few key aspects of SAP MaxDB installation and operation for users:
The Security Guide is not part of Installation Guides, Upgrade Guides, or Technical Operation Manuals; however, it provides an overview of all relevant security information for SAP MaxDB and supports all phases of the SAP MaxDB lifecycle.
SAP MaxDB Security Guides offer intelligent content that covers the following topics:
- User Administration and Authentication
- Network and Communication Security
- Technical System Landscape
- Data Storage Security
- Dispensible Function Impact on Security
- Authorization and Other Security-Related Information
- Data Protection in SAP MaxDB
There are a few critical database administration tasks that an SAP MaxDB administrator must complete regularly to ensure proper functionality and security of their existing database system, including backups, data restorations after hardware failure, and more.
Most of these tasks can be automated with the use of pre-built management tools, like:
- Database Studio: Replaces Database Manager GUI and SQL Studio from SAP MaxDB Version 7.7 onwards, offers additional capabilities for GUI on the Loader program, and enables better configuration and monitoring for SAP systems and databases.
- Database Manager CLI: Acts as the command line tool for the configuration and management of SAP MaxDB databases.
- Computer Center Management System (CCMS): Offers a tool for configuring, managing, and monitoring SAP systems and databases and is only available in SAP systems.
Concepts of Database System
This area of the SAP MaxDB technology suite offers detailed descriptions for both the SAP MaxDB database system and SAP liveCache technology. Here’s a closer look at each one:
- SAP MaxDB: Relational database system that enables users to create, use, maintain, and optimize SAP MaxDB databases that offer visibility into information like available operating system resources or the status of database sessions.
- SAP liveCache technology: Object-based enhancement of the SAP MaxDB database, offering use to customers as either a normal relational database system or as a direct memory-based special database system.
Navigating Critical Database Tools
Here are a few examples of SAP MaxDB database tools included for users:
Used by support employees and database administrators to analyze the performance of critical databases within the command line user interface.
Used by database administrators and application developers to import and export data, users, schemas, tables, and databases across the technical landscape.
Used by SAP administrators to analyze and manage SAP MaxDB and SAP liveCache databases within existing SAP systems.
Used by database administrators and support employees to view information about the operating system resources in use by the database system
Used by support employees, database administrators, and application developers to create and manage XUSER entries for logon to database tools and programming interfaces with user keys.
How Can We Help?
From helping your internal teams outline a plan for the implementation of new SAP modules to navigating complex database management issues, completing backup and restore operations for critical data, and everything in between, Surety Systems has you covered.
Our senior-level, US-based SAP consultant team has the knowledge, skills, and resources to ensure your organization is supported to and through implementation and your installed applications stay up and running, no matter what.