If you’ve been considering an enterprise resource planning solution, you’ve probably heard about Oracle JD Edwards (and more specifically, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne), but how do you know if JDE EnterpriseOne is the right fit for your organization?
Not to worry—we have you covered. This article will explain what enterprise resource planning is in general, as well as provide you an overview of the JD Edwards solution, its key modules, and how our JD Edwards software consultants can help.
What is ERP Software?
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) refers to a suite of applications and modules that organizations use to manage day-to-day business activities, including accounting, supply chain, procurement, project management, compliance and more. Connecting a variety of business processes—as well as the flow of data between them—an ERP system functions as the foundation of your organization, providing a single source of truth for your company’s data.
ERPs really got their start in the late 1970s, when JD Edwards got its name by building accounting ERP software for IBM minicomputers. Today, JD Edwards has moved beyond JDE accounting software, offering a comprehensive enterprise solution that helps organizations from all sizes and industries manage every aspect of their companies’ business.
What is Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne?
Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne software is a cloud-based ERP solution that provides application modules and tools for finance, human resources (HR), distribution, consumer goods, and manufacturing sectors. It’s designed for all types of businesses—small, midsized, and large— in a variety of different industries, and it’s compatible with Linux, AIX, Microsoft Windows, IBM, and the Oracle Mobile Platform.
Some of its primary functionalities include:
- Financial Management
- Order Management
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Asset Lifecycle Management
- Supply Chain Planning, Execution, and Logistics
- Reporting and Business Intelligence (BI)
Breakdown of the Big Four JDE Modules
The JD Edwards ERP system is home to a variety of different JD Edwards EnterpriseOne tools and applications to meet the needs of any business, regardless of size, location, or industry. And, while JDE solutions are widely-used across many industries, there are a few main modules that take the cake when it comes to the ERP popularity contest.
Here are the “big four” JDE modules you need to know about:
The JDE Financial Management module is instrumental in not only providing a solid foundation for your financial reporting and processing functions, but it also helps to streamline day-to-day financial operations and simplify financial reporting requirements.
The JDE Financials module allows companies to:
- Manage accounts payable (AP) and accounts receivable (AR) more efficiently
- Update and maintain more accurate general ledger (GL) data
- Manage fixed assets (i.e., tax depreciation schedules, etc.)
The main function of a the JD Edwards Distribution module is managing key procure-to-pay processes. This module helps companies improve transactions, enhance customer-facing interactions, manage inventory more efficiently, and streamline Order to Cash business processes. The Distribution module also includes a few key sub-modules that help further streamline business processes: Warehousing, Advanced Warehousing, and Transportation
With the JDE Distribution module, users can:
- Monitor purchasing and keep track of purchase orders (POs)
- Manage contracts and schedule agreements with vendors
- Stay up-to-date with inbound and outbound logistics
- Manage sales orders, requisitions, and overall demand
- Monitor Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) transactions and third-party barcoding software (DSI/RF Smart)
The JDE Manufacturing module plays a major role in helping companies streamline the development, production, and distribution of their products. This solution provides integrated manufacturing and engineering functions to not only reduce costs and overall use of resources, but also improve employee and system productivity.
JDE Manufacturing software gives users the ability to:
- Differentiate “Make to Stock” vs “Make to Order” products
- Manage and optimize shop floor procedures
- Keep track of Bill of Materials (BOMs)
- Monitor Materials Requirements Planning (MRP), Demand Resource Planning (DRP), and Capacity Planning
- Oversee day-to-day product and materials routing, manufacturing, and cost accounting processes
Human Capital Management (HCM)
The JD Edwards HCM solution provides top-of-the-line functionality to help streamline and manage your human resource tasks, including payroll, recruiting, time tracking, compliance, and more. The JDE HCM module not only automates key tasks throughout your HR department, but it also helps you attract talent, assess performance, and manage compliance from one integrated system.
JDE Human Capital Management solutions help you:
- Manage benefits, compensation, and payroll
- Monitor employee and manager self-service (ESS/MSS)
- Build employee schedules and keep track of timesheets
Benefits of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
Thousands of companies around the world have implemented JD Edwards, gaining both immediate and long-term value. Here’s a breakdown of some of the benefits you can expect from implementing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne:
Flexible and Scalable
A flexible and scalable solution, JD Edwards can grow with your business due to its underlying architecture. The JDE system permits you a choice of database, operating systems, and hardware, allowing you to build and expand your IT solution to meet your business needs.
Increase Profits and Productivity
If you’re taking advantage of all its features, JD Edwards can reduce operating expenses and boost profitability by increasing employee productivity, with features like drag-and-drop customization for user navigation to help improve business process flows.
Regular Updates and Upgrades
Oracle is continuously evolving JD Edwards to meet a wide variety of business needs better. By responding to the needs of its users with regular updates and upgrades, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne stays competitive.
Today’s workforce is everywhere. And with that need in mind, Oracle has expanded its JD Edwards mobile enterprise applications portfolio to include more than 85 out-of-the-box mobile applications. These applications are compatible with both iOS and Android and are free for the user of the desktop application (or can be purchased from Oracle as a bundle).
Key Considerations When Implementing JD Edwards
- Plan for employee training: When considering the switch to a new JDE system or set of modules, it’s important to build a plan to keep your employees up to speed every step of the way. From proper documentation to software development training and the navigation of system complexities, your employees need to know 1) what to do and 2) how to do it properly for your entire organization to succeed.
- Assess integrations carefully: Planning for and managing complex integrations is often a challenge, especially for underprepared or understaffed teams. Before beginning your JD Edwards implementation project, you must consider the key integrations you will need and plan accordingly.
- Consider security roles and permissions: Keeping your data secure is crucial, but oftentimes setting up security roles and managing permissions can be complicated. In order to get the most out of your JD Edwards software, it’s important to consider security as one of your top priorities when switching systems or integrating new modules.
- Get help from the experts: When it comes to implementing the JD Edwards system or modules in your organization, getting help from experts (like our JDE consultants) can be critical to your success. JD Edwards ERP software experts take care of the most complicated implementation and integration steps so you don’t have to.
Partnering with the Best
After you’ve done your research and decided that JD Edwards is the right software for your organization, the next step is getting it implemented. To make sure you get the most out of your investment in JDE, it’s important to partner with an IT consultant that has experience with JD Edwards.
Luckily for you, Surety Systems is here to help. Our team of senior-level JD Edwards consultants has the skills and experience needed to lead your team to success, whether that involves helping you choose from multiple deployment options, providing additional knowledge to get over the steep learning curve of JDE implementations, or assisting with key integrations.
How Can We Help?
The right partner can help you not only implement your software but also make sure your employees get up to speed quickly (and help you avoid any potholes on the way). Our senior-level JD Edwards consultants have just the expertise you need to help with any type of project from implementation to optimization and anywhere in between.
And, to give you a better idea of what to expect when partnering with us, we’ve included a sample profile of one of our top-notch JDE software consultants:
Surety Senior JD Edwards Software Consultant
- 25+ years of experience with JD Edwards
- Served as a JDE Project Manager for the past ~15 years
- Excels with the JDE Financial and Distribution modules; Well-versed in the JDE Manufacturing suite
- Led/managed multiple JD Edwards upgrades, implementations, and acquisitions
- Certified Project/Program Manager
Interested in seeing how one of our JD Edwards EnterpriseOne implementation consultants helped a manufacturing client transform their workforce? Click here.
Contact us today to learn more or get started with one of our JDE experts.