Overview

For many companies, keeping legacy systems up and running is about making system updates on a regular basis. If not, an organization’s systems and technology platform can quickly become antiquated and useless.

Earlier this year, a plastics manufacturer needed significant help in bringing its enterprise-wide JD Edwards World platform up-to-speed to handle the human resources and payroll needs of a growing and dynamic organization. Faced with a mountain of system upgrades, updates, and fixes, the company tapped into the vast experience in human resources, payroll, and JD Edwards World applications offered by Surety Systems.

 

Challenge

The plastics manufacturer built its main enterprise business systems platform on the secure and resilient IBM AS/400 technology nearly 15 years ago. However, years of quick fixes and technology “band-aids” were put into the system to keep it running, making the system inefficient and subject to system breakdowns.

JD Edwards Human Resources and Payroll Experience: Challenge

The Surety consultant came in and assessed the current state of the platform. He identified more than 35 technology issues that needed to be addressed to simply get the business-critical system back to a meaningful and useful status, as deemed by the manufacturer.

“The system problems in some cases were extensive,” said the Surety consultant. “We prioritized three issues and set out to resolve them as quickly as possible. We also established better processes to ensure the platform remained current and working for the foreseeable future.”

 

Result

Leveraging an extensive hands-on background in human resources, payroll, and JD Edwards solutions, the Surety consultant was able to quickly identify the major and minor issues that needed to be taken care of so the company could properly use and benefit from their business systems.

JD Edwards Human Resources and Payroll Experience: Solution

Within one week, the Surety consultant was able to resolve 75 percent of the system issues plaguing the Intertape Polymer platform, including problems with Historical Payroll Register processing and World Writer report creation, as well as national and international salary/tax reconciliation. The remaining 25 percent of system issues would be addressed by regular upgrades and expanded system capacity, which is scheduled for implementation over the next several months.